The Salzburg Centre of European Union Studies is currently offering 3 doctoral students positions within the framework of its doctoral college. Research students selected by the Admissions Committee will be eligible for a three-year scholarship (non-refundable) at conditions as established by the Austrian fund for science and research.
In detail we invite applications for:
- a doctoral student for a project on the role of interest groups in the European Union. The student’s research is expected to be linked to a project on interest group influence in the European Union carried out at the University of Salzburg. The project is part of a larger collaborative research group that brings together research teams in six European countries and the United States, thus offering the selected candidate access to a network of leading researchers in the field. Requirement: Masters degree in Political Science or a related discipline;
- a doctoral student with a strong research interest in European economic policy issues preferably in the fields of regional or innovation economics and policy. Access to a COST-network of experts from 20+ countries on “public private partnerships” is available. Requirement: Masters degree in Social Sciences (in particular Economics);
- a doctoral student with a strong research interest in the area of sociology of living arrangements, welfare research or social integration in Europe Requirements: Master degree in Sociology.
- Master's degree has to be completed by no later than 30 September 2011.
- Nationality is not a criterion, internationality an asset.
- Fluency in English
- Willingness to engage in method training
Application and selection process: Candidates are invited to submit their written application no later than 8 June, 2011. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview by the middle of June 2011.
The application should encompass:
- Letter of motivation
- Portfolio of 1-3 of the applicant`s best seminar papers
- List of publications (if available)
- Degree transcript (i.e., a copy of the applicant`s master`s degree)
- Grade report (i.e., an official document showing all the courses and exams the applicant has taken at his/her university)
- 2 letters of reference, to be submitted directly by referee to the address mentioned below
Documents can be submitted in English or German, the letter of motivation in English only. Applications and references should be sent no later than 8 June, 2011 by regular postal service to
University of Salzburg – the Rector
c/o Salzburg Centre of European Union Studies
Further Application Process
Selected candidates will be informed by the middle of June and invited for an interview. For this interview a short outline of the envisaged research project for the doctoral thesis shall be prepared, also taking into consideration how this will fit into the research interest at Centre. Successful candidates will be informed until the middle of July, the semester will start on October 1st.